Study #3065: Dietary Optimization of the Gut-Muscle Axis in Older Adults
Purpose of this study: To examine the ability of dietary fiber to improve muscle mass, muscle composition and physical function in older adults.
Independently living older adults, ages 65 years and older.
- BMI < 18.5 kg/m2
- A history of any significant injury or surgery that current affects physical functioning and ability to perform physical function testing
- Diabetes mellitus (type 1, or type 2 with insulin therapy)
- Liver or kidney disease
- Chronic use of anti-inflammatory medication (corticosteroids)
- Won't remain in Boston for the 13-week study duration
Length of study:
- 13 weeks
Time commitment/number of visits:
- 1 screening and 3 study visits
- Only consume the provided food (unsweetened tea and/or black coffee are allowed).
Can I work?
- Yes, but not on the mornings of visits 2, 3 or 4.
$20 for screening visit, and up to $558 if you qualify and complete the study. In addition, all food will be provided during the 13-week study, which has an equivalent cost of $2,300.