B.S., Nutrition, Cornell University
M.S., Nutrition, The Pennsylvania State University
M.S., D.Sc., Nutritional Biochemistry, Harvard School of Public Health
Hon. Ph.D., Faculty of Medicine, University of Kuopio, Finland
Dietary fatty acids, nutrition, lipoproteins, and cardiovascular disease risk, biomarkers of nutrient intake and disease risk, nutrition policy
• Lab Director, JMUSDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging
• Senior Scientist, JMUSDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging
• Stanley N. Gershoff Professor of Nutrition Science and Policy, Gerald J. and Dorothy R. Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy at Tufts University
• Professor (secondary), Department of Medicine, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, MA
• Associated Faculty, Institute for Clinical Research and Health Policy Studies, Division of Clinical Care Research, Department of Medicine, Tufts Medical Center, Boston, MA
• Professor (secondary), Department of Public Health and Family Medicine, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, MA
• Professor (secondary), Tufts Clinical and Translational Science Institute, Tufts University, Boston, MA
Selected Professional Affiliations
• Member, Food and Nutrition Board, National Academies of Science, Engineering and Medicine
• Vice-chair, 2015 Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee, U.S. Department of Agriculture / U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
• Vice-chair, NHLBI, Adult Treatment Panel [ATP] IV (Cholesterol Guidelines)
• Member, NIHLBI, Lifestyle Panel for Cardiovascular Risk Reduction
• Member, Committee on the Consequences of Sodium Reduction in Populations, Food and Nutrition Board, National Academy of Sciences
• Vice-chair, Examination of Front-of-Package Nutrition Rating Systems and Symbols, Food and Nutrition Board, National Academy of Sciences
• Member, past Chair, Nutrition Committee, American Heart Association
• Member, Macronutrient Panel, Dietary Reference Intakes, Food and Nutrition Board, National Academy of Sciences
Honda KL, Lamon-Fava S, Matthan NR, Wu D, Lichtenstein AH. Docosahexaenoic acid differentially affects TNFα and IL-6 expression in LPS-stimulated RAW 264.7 murine macrophages. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 2015; 97:27-34. PMID: 25921297.
Lichtenstein AH. Fruits and vegetables get a golden halo once again is there more to the story? Circulation. 2015;132:1946-8. Epub 2015 Oct 26. PMID:26503881.
Gunsalus KTW, Tornberg-Belanger SN, Matthan NR, Lichtenstein AH, Kumamoto C. Manipulation of host diet to reduce gastrointestinal colonization by the opportunistic pathogen Candida albicans” has been successfully transferred from Infection and Immunity. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy. 2015;1;1 e00020-15.
Rautiainen S, Manson JE, Lichtenstein AH, Sesso H. Dietary supplements and disease prevention: a global overview. Nat Rev Endocrinol. 2016;12:407-20.
Millen B, Abrams S, Adams-Campbell L, Anderson C, Brenna JT, Campbell W, Clinton S, Hu F, Nelson M, Neuhouser ML, Perez-Escamilla R, Siega-Riz AM, Story M, Lichtenstein AH. The 2015 dietary guidelines advisory committee scientific report: Development and major conclusions. Adv Nutr, 2016;7:438-44.
All Publications (PubMed)